11.13.2008

I haven't forgotten!

I know it seems like I've fallen off the face of the planet lately, but I assure you that is not the case!  We have been fighting off colds and coughs around here.  I've also been doing some "life alterations" both personally and for our whole family.  

Personally, I am fighting tooth and nail to not let this depression overtake me.  Once it does, it is overwhelming and oh, so hard to overcome it.  I am praying and praying that it won't happen again.  Pete has been a HUGE help in this process.  He is recognizing that lack of sleep and lack of adult interaction plays a big part in triggering my downward spirals.  He has made sure to make himself available for what he can.  He is also really good at encouraging me for those times that he knows I'm struggling and he can't help.  I am so thankful for my man!

Our family has gone through so many changes this year, I thought, why not finish the job and do the complete overhaul?  We have put our housing dreams on hold for now.  Partly because of the crazy market and partly because we aren't where we would like to be financially when we buy a house.  We have an adequate living arrangement right now, so I'm at peace with this decision and I think Pete is, too.  

As a result of this decision, we are in the midst of a budget overhaul.  We are simplifying in as many ways as we can and pouring our money into the things that really matter to us and to the plan we feel the Lord has for us.  That means cooking dinner at home each night (not my favorite thing at all!), packing lunch, walking to local places (post office, library, and the drug store are all close by), and doing monthly shopping trips to eliminate impulse buys.  

Christmas will also change a bit this year, focussing on giving rather than receiving.  This has been a challenge for our girls lately and we want to start changing that attitude.  Advent will help with that, but also donating our time and money to outside causes.  We already made up three shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, having the girls fill them and package them to concretely illustrate the concept.  They enjoyed it!

On a more minor note, I have weeded out and donated clothes and toys that the girls don't need or want.  I wanted to get this done before Leah's birthday.  They are also getting their diets changed s l o w l y.  Halloween has just increased the craziness, so from now on: More veggies, less junk.  Leah's less than thrilled, but Beth has actually been open to new things.  She loves green beans!

I'm hoping that with more structure, I will have more sanity, Beth will behave better at school, Pete will find ways that he can be productive here at home, Leah will have some more predictable patterns and not feel out of the loop and Anna will thrive as she grows.  

The saying goes... "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  In my house, that seems to be true.  If my mood dictates the overall rhythm in my house, then I should do everything in my power to alleviate the darkness.  I want a happy home.  I want to show Jesus' love to my kids.  I want to enjoy life.  I can do this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you, especially that God will give you the strength to keep up. You are really keeping your priorities and desires in the right place. I'm glad Pete is helping. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

A Daily Dose of Grace said...

This was a great post to read, Sarah. I'm very proud of you and the goals you're reaching for. I know it is not easy. I'll be praying for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Keep up the resolve!! It's not going to be easy, but you're strong! Your family will thank you for it too :-)
*HUGS*