As with most things that take place in our family, we tend to overhaul a lot of areas at the same time. Without realizing it, we're doing the same thing now. While we aren't having a baby or moving to a different city or house like we did last year, we are revamping life as we know it now.
First, we are reorganizing our apartment. I think for the past year, I have thought of this two-bedroom, cramped living situation as a VERY temporary place to be. We still have boxes that aren't unpacked and pictures that aren't hung. I think that I have been afraid and resistant to call Canton home. As it looks now, it IS home. It will be home for quite a while. I need to settle in and get used to it. So temporary, dorm-like furniture will be going away and more stable, permanent furniture will be taking its place. I want to feel like I'm home again. I'm decorating (what I can) and adding personal touches to our space. The Nester will become my best friend this winter as I take on some projects to make our house (apartment) a home.
Next, and the main catalyst to the above, is that we are revamping our budget. This seems to be a never-ending process, and we have decided (many times, actually) not to buy a house until we are debt free. I've never known financial freedom. It is becoming clearer and clearer that God demands it. "The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender," says Proverbs 22:7 (NIV). How true is that?! We have felt like servants in bondage to our debt for WAY too long and we're kinda sick of it.
Third, we are implementing some new house rules. I have been noticing lately, that laziness and apathy have reigned in our house. Hebrews 6:12 says, "We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised." This couldn't be farther from what is going on in our house. We've gained weight, shortened our attention spans, lost energy and created chaos. It's time for a change. Real changes that follow the biblical principals that we claim. It's time to put our words into action... literally. I want our girls to feel like they can be productive and that activity is normal. I know my depression is unbearable when I am slothful. I am not the mom, wife or friend I want to be when that happens. It's not fair to my family or myself. What kind of witness is that?!
On top or the laziness, there is a lack of respect for authority... and it's not just from the girls, though that is a problem. I am struggling with respecting the authority that Pete has as the head of our home and the authority that God has over all. Submission is an effort, one that I need to pray for God's help on. I am praying that He will establish in me a heart of submission and servanthood toward my family, my husband and His people. I'm hoping that my girls will see that change in me and will learn to respect their father and, in the future, their husbands, as godly men who DESERVE to be respected and trusted.
Our laziness has also caused our attention to personal property to diminish. The girls see no reason to take care of their things, and that is partly because I tend to let my desire to play on the computer (and other idle things) overtake the need to take care of our home and the items that are in it. Why should they see a need to pick up their clothes when I still have laundry sitting on the couch three days later? What's the point of putting away their toys when I can leave my projects on the kitchen table? Why get dressed when I don't?! Our attitudes are going to change, and it's going to start with me. Please be praying about that!!
Lastly, the decision that started this whole Extreme Makeover: Seidel Edition, we are homeschooling. What an exciting journey this will be! I am so thrilled to be able to cultivate the love of learning in my girls. I have always been a firm believer that quite a bit of learning takes place OUTSIDE of the classroom. Being a part of the world gives you a perspective that a textbook just can't. I can't wait to get out and explore it! I am so thankful for a devoted, hard-working husband that is supportive and allows me to stay home with our girls. It is so worth the sacrifice, and am grateful for what he sacrifices daily to provide for us.
Today, Beth will complete her last day of public school today and as of Monday, she will officially be a homeschooler. Wow...
We've been talking, praying and researching this endeavor for months. But now that it is finally here, it seems unreal. We have our concerns, but we truly believe that this is what God has called us to do.
So that post was a lot longer than I had intended, but I have been in a thoughtful, prayerful state of mind for a few weeks and I didn't want you all to think we had disappeared or something! We are headed in to an INCREDIBLY busy time of year (I think everyone is) so I'm sure there will be posts frequently.
2 comments:
Proud of you! Just wanted to say I could totally have written the whole part of the laundry on the couch three days later (sitting next to some right now) and getting dressed and projects on the table. Wow! Really, wow! That is ME. Thanks for writing something that punched me in the gut. I probably needed it. :)
Love you!
I really appreciate this, Sarah. It's inspiring.
Post a Comment